Friday, January 7, 2011

The Banana Bread That Came Too Late

I got up this morning.
Then I got back in bed
And as I watched the Today show, ate a swiss cake roll (WHAT?! yes, it's a breakfast food), and sipped my coffee I thought "I wish Brian was here to bring me the computer..." and then I thought "um, excuse me, Bonnie, what are you doing?!".

Do you know about our bird? At my parent's house there was this bird. A cardinal. He decided he loved our house and especially our windows. This little bird would fly himself into our windows from sun up to sun down.
all - day - looooooooooooong
He was a little annoying, but heck, poor guy! He didn't know what he was doing or why, he was just doing the same ole, same ole thing and it made you wonder....what are all the other cardinals doing? They are probably out being good daddies, looking stunning on tree branches, and pecking at yummy morsels of whatever it is cardinals love to eat the most.
But not our cardinal, his name should probably be Dougie, and you wonder why he was missing out on life? He was missing out on the grand life of the cardinal! And it makes your heart a little bit sad to know that it was our windows that distracted poor Dougie from his life. He saw himself in our windows and didn't like what he saw there, so he tried to fight himself, erase his unsatisfactory image, and in the end it just breaks your dang heart!!

A crash was heard throughout the Decker household one sad day, and outside we discovered him. Our little Dougie, crushed underneath (of all things) the bird feeder. The bird feeder!! It fell on him, and unexpectedly and out of nowhere, ended Dougie's little life.

And what had he done?

Exactly. What have I done? What has anyone done? Are we ever ready for our lives to end? Would it be better to know, do you think? Should we know when our lives are going to be over so we can be ready for it? I don't know. Are we just going through life, fighting ourselves and the things we can't change, while we are missing out on the meaning, the excitement, the LIFE for goodness sakes?!!!
from Pink of Perfection
 We are lucky that we have two neighbors out here on our little mountain. One is nice, one not. But isn't that how it always goes? Our nice neighbor is a little old man who once drove his lawn mower down the road and into our driveway and proceeded to mow all the way down one side. He brought me a baby pumpkin for fall and I knew then that he was my favorite neighbor. He talked to my hubby and as he left, he mowed down the other side of our driveway.
(I'm pretty sure he was telling my hubby to get out there and mow the yard for the love of a neat yard, neighbor!!)

He stopped by the house the other day on his way to town (to get his wife something to eat, she wasn't feeling well) while my sister and her boyfriend Matthew were here. Matthew is a pilot! GO SISTER! So he has these dorky electric airplanes and he brought them to fly around in our big field.
As greeting, my neighbor slowly rolled up the driveway and called out "I thought we was gettin' invaded!"

Too cute.
He told me about his wife, she wanted to come meet me soon!
And everyone wants their sweet elderly neighbors to love them the most. I was excited!
I thought, "I will bake these sweet neighbors some banana bread."
But last night his wife passed away. She had a heart attack.
And it really just hits you then....

What have I done?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so sad! I for one am very bad about putting things off. Especially important things like that
    I have 3 bananas at home that need to be put in some banana bread and I have elderly neighbors that would probably enjoy a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an excellent writer!! I enjoy your posts, and I would never laugh, unless it were funny. :) This one definitely makes you think. Alot. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete